Have you had enough of scraping nickels together to make your auto insurance payment? You are no different than most other consumers in Colorado.
Unthinkable but true, about 70% of customers renewed their policy with the same company for over three years, and approximately 40% of consumers have never shopped around. Most drivers in Fort Collins can cut their rates by nearly 35% a year, but they won't spend time to find cheap rates by getting comparison quotes. Lots of insurance companies contend to insure your vehicles, and because of this it can be hard to compare insurance companies and get the definite lowest rate possible on auto insurance.
If you have insurance now or are looking for a new policy, you can use these techniques to lower your rates without sacrificing coverage. Finding the cheapest insurance coverage in Fort Collins is really quite simple as long as you have a good starting point. Comparison shoppers just have to use how to compare rates instantly.
Take policy discounts and save on car insurance
Companies do not list every policy discount very well, so below is a list some of the best known as well as some of the hidden credits that may apply to you. If they aren't giving you every credit you qualify for, you may be paying too high a price.
- Savings for New Vehicles - Buying coverage on a new vehicle is cheaper since new vehicles are generally safer.
- Student in College - Children who live away from home to go to college and do not take a car to college could get you a discount.
- Government Employee Discount - Employees or retirees of the government could cut as much as 10% off with select insurance companies.
- Safety Restraint Discount - Forcing all vehicle occupants to use their safety belts may be able to save a few bucks off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- ABS Braking Discount - Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes are much safer to drive and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Organization Discounts - Joining specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations could earn you a nice discount on car insurance.
- Low Mileage - Keeping the miles down could qualify for better premium rates on cars that stay parked.
Discounts reduce rates, but you should keep in mind that most discounts do not apply to the entire cost. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. So despite the fact that it appears you can get free auto insurance, it doesn't quite work that way. Any amount of discount will help lower the amount you pay for coverage.
If you would like to choose from a list of companies with the best car insurance discounts in Fort Collins in Colorado, follow this link.
Cutting your Fort Collins insurance rates is surprisingly easy. All you need to do is take the time to get quotes from some recommended companies.
Getting free rate quotes online is quite simple, and it makes it obsolete to waste gas driving to insurance agencies in your area. Buying insurance online has made agencies unnecessary unless you're the type of person who wants the trained advice that can only be provided by a licensed insurance agent. It is possible with some companies comparison shop your insurance online and still use a local Fort Collins agent.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide quotes in Colorado. If several companies are displayed, it's a good idea that you visit several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$1,476||$738||$123|
|Dodge Grand Caravan Hero||$1,036||$518||$86|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab Sport 2WD||$1,078||$539||$90|
|Ford Escape XLS 4WD||$1,028||$514||$86|
|Ford F-150 Lariat King Ranch 2WD||$1,000||$500||$83|
|Ford Focus SES 2-Dr Coupe||$1,038||$519||$87|
|Honda Accord EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,568||$784||$131|
|Honda CR-V LX 4WD||$898||$449||$75|
|Honda Civic SI 4-Dr Sedan||$1,308||$654||$109|
|Hyundai Elantra SE Touring Station Wagon||$994||$497||$83|
|Hyundai Sonata GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$1,096||$548||$91|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD||$934||$467||$78|
|Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2WD 4-Dr||$954||$477||$80|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4-Dr Sedan||$956||$478||$80|
|Toyota Camry LE||$1,058||$529||$88|
|Toyota Corolla S||$1,280||$640||$107|
|Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off-Road Package 4WD||$1,132||$566||$94|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Cost estimates assume married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Colorado minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, and safe-driver. Rate information does not factor in specific location information which can change coverage prices considerably.
Rate difference between full and liability-only coverage
The information below illustrates the difference between Hyundai Sonata car insurance costs with full coverage compared to only the Colorado minimum liability coverage. The premium estimates are based on no claims or violations, $100 deductibles, single female driver, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Hyundai Sonata rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Should you pay for full coverage or liability only?
There isn't a steadfast formula that is best for determining when to drop full coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is more than about 10% of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
For example, let's say your Hyundai Sonata book value is $3,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most you would get paid by your company is $2,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If you are currently paying more than $200 a year for full coverage, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
There are some cases where only buying liability is not advised. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you have to carry full coverage to satisfy the loan requirements. Also, if you don't have enough money to buy a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should not eliminate full coverage.
Eight tips to get lower Fort Collins car insurance costs
Lots of factors are part of the equation when quoting car insurance. Some factors are common sense such as your driving record, but other criteria are more obscure like where you live or your commute time.
- Alarm systems systems cut prices - Choosing to buy a car with anti-theft technology or alarm system can get you a discount on your car insurance. Anti-theft devices such as vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack all help stop auto theft.
- Getting married equates to better rates - Having a significant other can get you a discount on your car insurance policy. Marriage generally demonstrates drivers are less irresponsible it has been statistically shown that being married results in fewer claims.
- Adjust physical damage deductibles and save - Physical damage insurance, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, insures against damage to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered are colliding with a building, flood damage, and windstorm damage. The deductibles are the amount of money you are required to spend out-of-pocket if a claim is determined to be covered. The more money you choose to pay out-of-pocket, the bigger discount you will receive.
- Your occupation may affect rates - Occupations such as real estate brokers, executives and medical professionals generally pay higher average rates because of high stress and extremely grueling work hours. Conversely, professions such as scientists, engineers and retirees have lower than average premiums.
- Know your credit rating - Your credit history is likely to be a major factor in determining what you pay for car insurance. If your credit can be improved, you could potentially save money when insuring your vehicle by repairing your credit. Insureds with good credit tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims than drivers who have lower credit scores.
- Safeguard your assets with liability - The liability coverage on your policy kicks in in the event that a court rules you are at fault for physical damage or personal injury to other. It will provide for a legal defense up to the limits shown on your policy. Liability insurance is quite affordable when compared to the cost of physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Drive fewer miles and save - The higher the mileage driven each year the more you will pay for car insurance. A lot of insurance companies rate vehicles partially by how you use the vehicle. Cars and trucks that are left in the garage receive better premium rates than those that get driven frequently. Double check that your car insurance policy properly reflects the right rating data, because it can save money.
- Teenage drivers cost more - Teen drivers in Colorado tend to be inattentive in a vehicle so car insurance rates are higher. Older insureds have been proven to be more responsible, cost insurance companies less in claims, and are safer drivers.
When should I discuss my situation with an agent?
When it comes to choosing the right insurance coverage, there really is not a one size fits all plan. Each situation is unique and your car insurance should unique, too. For instance, these questions may help you determine if your insurance needs will benefit from professional help.
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
- How much will a speeding ticket raise my rates?
- When does my teenage driver need to be added to my policy?
- How long can I keep a teen driver on my policy?
- Am I covered if I wreck a rental car?
- Are my company tools covered if they get stolen?
If it's difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It's fast, doesn't cost anything and can provide invaluable advice.
Can't I compare prices from local Fort Collins car insurance agents?
Certain consumers just want to buy from a local agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases Most agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and will help you if you have claims. A nice benefit of getting online price quotes is that you can find better rates and still have an agent to talk to.
After filling out this simple form, the quote information is instantly submitted to companies in Fort Collins that can provide free Fort Collins auto insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. You don't have to search for an agent due to the fact that quote results will go directly to your email. In the event you want to compare rates from a specific insurance company, you just need to go to their quote page and fill out their quote form.
Choosing an insurance company shouldn't rely on just the bottom line cost. You should also get answers to these questions.
- How is replacement cost determined on your vehicle?
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
- If they are an independent agency in Fort Collins, which companies do they recommend?
- Where would glass claims be handled in Fort Collins?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
Best reasons to buy car insurance in Colorado
Even though rates can get expensive, insuring your vehicle may be mandatory for several reasons.
First, most states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability in order to license the vehicle. In Colorado these limits are 25/50/15 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you bought your car with a loan, more than likely the lender will require that you have physical damage coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is cancelled, the bank may buy a policy for your vehicle for a lot more money and require you to fork over a much higher amount than you were paying before.
Third, car insurance preserves both your vehicle and your assets. It also can pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, will also pay to defend you in the event you are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance are definitely more than the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. Unknowingly, the average driver is wasting up to $825 a year so it's very important to do a rate comparison at least once a year to ensure rates are inline.
In this article, we presented many ideas to find cheaper coverage online. The key thing to remember is the more providers you compare, the higher your chance of finding the cheapest Fort Collins auto insurance quotes. Consumers could even find that the biggest savings come from the least-expected company. Some small companies may only write in your state and offer lower rates compared to the large companies like State Farm and Allstate.
As you quote Fort Collins auto insurance, it's not a good idea to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There have been many cases where consumers will sacrifice liability coverage limits to discover at claim time they didn't purchase enough coverage. Your aim should be to buy enough coverage for the lowest cost, but don't skip important coverages to save money.
Much more information about car insurance in Colorado can be read at the links below
- Honda warning system reduces insurance claims (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for 17 Year Olds in Colorado? (FAQ)
- How Much are Colorado Car Insurance Quotes for a Toyota 4Runner? (FAQ)
- What is the Best Cheap Car Insurance in Denver, CO? (FAQ)
- Pickups fall short in headlight tests (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- New head restraint design cuts injuries (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)